Northgate Swimming Club was delighted to play a small part in the annual Wenlock Olympian celebrations, by hosting a gala at William Brookes for their younger competitors. The event took place on Saturday 15th July, with swimmers from as young as six competing in official races, many for the first time.
It was a short course event and based on swimmer’s ages, races varied from 25m (one length) to 100m (four lengths) in distance. There was some absolutely outstanding performances across the different categories, with almost every swimmer having at least one personal best by the end of the evening.
• Ten-year old Rory Yarnley, who entered the nine events he was eligible for, picking up seven gold medals and two silvers on a busy night of racing!
• Eleven-year old Emily Gurr, who also raced in nine events and went one better, picking up eight gold medals and one silver!
• Eleven-year old Reece Thomas, with a magnificent seven gold medals from seven events entered.
• Eight-year old Oliver Lloyd, who secured podium places, including two gold medals, for the five races he competed in (butterfly, breaststroke, backstroke, freestyle and individual medley).
• Eight-year old Alice Allan-Smith, who replicated this, including a gold medal in the 25m backstroke race.
Northgate Swimming Club would like to particularly thank the support of the Wenlock Olympian Society, and was delighted to welcome their Chair Jordan Spilsbury
Additionally, Mandy Garrott (Chair, Shropshire ASA) and Jean Childs (Secretary, Shropshire ASA) supported the event – thank you to everyone involved.